Governor Hogan signed an executive order to place Maryland in a State of Emergency as of 7 AM Friday. Note, the storm will not start until Friday evening. A Blizzard Warning has been posted by The National Weather Service. This is also for the event to kick in Friday night and lasting through Sunday. Notice the red shaded areas including all of central Maryland between Harford and Frederick Counties south to Saint Mary’s. Between the Bay and mountains. This includes Baltimore, Washington, and Annapolis. Cecil Co is under a different weather office, and they along with the Eastern Shore still under a Blizzard Watch. Southern PA also under a different office and a Winter Storm Watch is still in effect there. Bascially we all will be affect by this extreme weather.
Update: Pennsylvania and Virginia have also declared States Of Emergency
While Hogan is working with MEMA and the State Highway Administration, they now have more resources available with led red tape.
I saw SHA pretreating I-83 this morning, and they will continue to cover as much ground as possible today, and tomorrow.
- 2,700 pieces of equipment statewide.
- 365,000 tons of salt.
- Also enables the National Guard to help with stranded people and emergencies.
According to Governor Hogan, ” Our state is taking every precaution. Coordinating all available resources to prepare to clear the roads, manage incidents, and prepare and recover from this storm”. He went on to encourage people to prepare in the time ahead of the storm:
- Food and supplies. More than weekend, but for up to an entire week.
- Fully charge feel phones
- Have batteries
- Use common sense. If you don’t have to drive, DON’T Drive!
That last one sounds familiar as I mentioned that yesterday! Way to go Hogan!
Not much to add since this morning. Here is a quick recap. I will fine tune details this evening. Please keep in mind:
- It starts Friday evening. Likely between 7-10 PM in metro Baltimore. A little earlier near Washington and southern Maryland/Virginia. Regardless of getting a foot or over 2 feet of snow, this will impact most of our region
- Blizzard by definition is a 3 hour period with 35 mph winds AND 1+ inch of snow per hour rate.
- Heavy snowfall an white-outs can occur without a full blizzard criteria
- This will not start until Friday night… but will deteriorate in a hurry.
- Sleet and Freezing Rain may mix in on Saturday. That will cut down snow totals, but increase stickage on power lines and trees. POWER OUTAGES ARE LIKELY.
- Travel on Saturday is definite NO!
- Travel on Sunday after the storm ends… Depends on your local clean up. Impact limey to last into net week.
I am helping to promote my friends at OrderUp and this event will put their delivery service to the full test. Use the code WEATHER7 and get $7 off your first order.
For more details on the storm, please see my prior report. I will have more to add this evening.
Faith In The Flakes: Show Off You Pride As The Snow Arrives
See all of our shirt designs here, hosted by local printing partner Ink Splash in Westminster available for ordering now.
Please share your thoughts, best weather pics/video, or just keep in touch via social media
Get the award winning Kid Weather App I made with my oldest son and support our love for science, weather, and technology. Our 3 year anniversary of the release and our contribution to STEM education is this November. It has been downloaded in 60 countries, and works in both temperature scales. With your support we can expand on the fun introduction to science and real weather.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]