If we are going to do it, let’s do it right! This wasn’t too much of a surprise since the notion of the heat was built into the forecast, and temperatures lived up to their expectation. Baltimore’s BWI hit a new record high temperature for March 9 of 82°F at 3:22 PM, but in the 80s for a few hours. Here are some other highlights about today’s weather:
- 52 year old record was beaten. The old mark was 79°F in 1964.
- June 10th is when Baltimore averages a high of 82°F. That is 93 days from now.
- November 6th was the last time we hit 80°F. That was 124 days ago
- 42 degree jump during the day! The low temperature was 40°F
- 51°F is the average high today. We were 31 degrees above average for March 9.
- 2.5″ of snow fell between Thursday night and Friday morning last week. That was only 5 days ago!
Can we do it again?
We have a good chance of another record tomorrow. Should we get more clouds, that might hold temps back a little, but another run for near 80°F
Record March 10: 77°F in 2006
Is spring here yet?
No! We can still easily get widespread frost and freezing conditions through April. But if you It is safe to wait until Mother’s Day to do most planting for the year.
Getting a big warm up like this before mid March will often be followed by another cold shot before the end of the month. There is even a lesser known saying, “If it is near 70°F on Christmas, it will snow on Easter”. We have a chance to test that in a few weeks.
You can still show off your preference for snow all year: FITF Shirts And Snow Sticks
Please share your thoughts, best weather pics/video, or just keep in touch via social media
Get the award winning Kid Weather App I made with my oldest son and support our love for science, weather, and technology. Our 3 year anniversary of the release and our contribution to STEM education is this November. It has been downloaded in 60 countries, and works in both temperature scales. With your support we can expand on the fun introduction to science and real weather.