March 12 – With a Winter Storm Watch in place, the storm on the way is has been consistently plotted by many computer models for many days. Today was the initial snow plan, but that storm was successfully plotted to the south four days ago, and now we watch the next event to develop and rival the top three March snowstorms for Baltimore. The arctic air has sufficiently cooled down the ground, and the storm’s arrival on Monday night will allow for plenty of stickage. My main hesitation is the specific track and freezing line that will set up between the Chesapeake Bay and I-95, so lots of wiggle room for central Maryland including Baltimore and Annapolis. The heaviest snow and biggest impact will be Tuesday morning, so business and school plans will be affected.
Storm Simulation And Snowcast Maps Below
- 8 PM Monday to Midnight—> Snow arrives from the south.
- Tuesday Morning: Heaviest Snow- Freezing/Rain gets closest.
- Tuesday Afternoon: Main storm pulls away, but snow showers continue
- Wednesday Morning: Snow showers linger and temperatures will be below freezing.
- Canadian and European Model give the heaviest snow. If these verify, it would be the heaviest snowstorm in March history. The GFS model shows a closer track and more mixing in central Maryland. Still a respectable snowfall in any month for any year.
- I need to consider the warmer than average Chesapeake Bay to influence the snowfall.
- Snow can fall while temps are above freezing in some areas.
- Heavy, wet snow will compact and weigh down final totals. So ratios may be lower than 10:1 snow to liquid.
We are doing a special run of more Faith in the Flakes shirts this week. Click here for the online store.
Storm Simulation —> slider GFS Model
Equivalent to all rain and melted snow: Between 1 and 2 inches could bring well over 1 foot in places that stay all snow AND below freezing for the entire event.
My First Call For Snowfall
Computer Model Snow Potential Maps (much higher than my call)
Winter Storm Watch
Expect and Upgrade To A Warning For Many Areas Later Today
Some c0unties not listed here may get some form of an advisory issues later today
Get the award winning Kid Weather App I made with my oldest son and support our love for science, weather, and technology. Our 3 year anniversary of the release and our contribution to STEM education is this November. It has been downloaded in 60 countries, and works in both temperature scales. With your support we can expand on the fun introduction to science and real weather.
Please share your thoughts, best weather pics/video, or just keep in touch via social media
Faith in the Flakes Online- Flannel PJs Printed Inside Out
Store Now Open
- We’ve added Flannel PJ Pants that will be printed inside out. They have to be, to make it snow ?
- Free Personal Delivery for orders of 20 items or more to schools and businesses.
- Click this image for the online store.
- Look for more items to be added soon.
- Also see the info for the STEM Assembly Spirit Wear program: Put your school name on the shirts and raise money for you PTO/PTA in the process.
Sign up for email updates on new posts
Since you may miss some posts via social media, click here for email alerts as a way to make sure you don’t miss any. *You may have to refresh that page once for your browser to clear out the images.
FITF SNOW STICKS
Available in 2 Ft, 30 Inches, and 3 Ft Sizes. Also with Orange/Black or Purple/Black. Click on the image to see the options offered by my friend Thatcher at Signs By Tomorrow in Timonium.
Go to http://www.signsbytomorrow.com/timonium/ to order yours today! Click the ‘Request a Quote’ button at the top of the page. In comment box include color, size and payment information. Please indicate whether you’d like to have us UPS ship them to you or if you would like to pick up in our store. Snow Sticks will ship or will be ready for pick up in our store 48 hrs after order is placed, Mon-Fri.