February 20 2019
We are under a Winter Storm Warning under much of the area today. Now that the snow has broken through the dry air, you may have seen it intensity quickly. At 9:30 AM, thunder snow was reported in Hagerstown. Snowfall rate could be over 1 inch per hour at times. The cold air and quick stickage is already making for slick travel. Even if you were a doubter earlier, you should be a believer now. FITF
Do you want to know if if your street is about to plowed or salted?
The expectation for sleet and freezing rain on top of this mid day and through this evening will add another dimension of road clearing. Eventually there will be a transition from plowing to salting. MDOT SHA has their new S.T.O.R.M app online so you can track the location of road crews across the state of Maryland.
This was developed by WBCM. See more about this local company and what else they built to help you below.
Interactive Map MDOT SHA STORM
Turn the phone sideway for better viewing.
WBCM’s Geospatial Innovations working with MDOT SHA, constructed S.T.O.R.M. S.T.O.R.M. is a web-based mapping application consuming MDOT SHA’s active vehicle feed allowing for near real-time tracking of MDOT SHA winter weather treatment vehicles on MDOT SHA State roadways during winter weather events.
Another helpful storm site WBCM has helped with which has every government contact for roadway maintenance and who to contact to clear your road is located here: http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=14f27a6cab51422dabdfb168ca603482
Founded in 1977 and headquartered in suburban Baltimore, Whitney Bailey Cox & Magnani, LLC (WBCM) is the area’s first multidisciplinary AEC firm to provide not only architecture and engineering services but also comprehensive construction management and facility construction. For more information or to contact us, please visit our website: www.wbcm.com
Conditions can change quickly
The first 1 inch of snow took 45 minutes
- 5″ to 8″ of snow. The white circled region can get up to 12″.
- The highest snow may be where it begins earlier allowing for more stickage before late morning.
- This Zone will have the most snow and heaviest icing Wednesday night
- 3″ to 6″ of snow. It will fall heavy at times in the morning.
- Change over will be around lunchtime (between 11 AM and 3 PM).
- I expanded this zone to include Kent, Queen Annes, and Caroline Countes.
- Moderate icing in sleet and freeing rain
- Should change to rain from south to north between 3 PM and 8 PM Wednesday.
- 1″ to 3″ of snow.
- Faster change over to icing and then rain during the day.
ALL FITF Apparel
Keep In Touch Every Day
Just in case you don’t get all posts on your social media feed, stay up to date with the latest info…
Click here to sign up for email alerts…. Be the first to hear any new weather.
Buchanan Kia of Westminster is a supporter of Just In Power Kids and Maryland Trek 6 in August 2019.
Interactive Snow Report
Winter Snow And Top 5 Wet Years
Related Winter Outlooks