Friday March 12 2021
A cold front is moving through today producing more clouds than anything, but a few showers possible. Temps remain mild, but not as warm as yesterday. This is the first step in our transition back to late winter weather early next week.
The mention of snow or slop refers to what may fall, but getting stickage should be limited to the mountains.
Morning Surface Weather
Quick Snapshot Next Tuesday
We see slushy snow, but it will fall with temperatures above freezing.
About That Record High Thursday
Baltimore hit 79ºF at BWI, breaking the old record for the date of 75ºF in 1967.
This discussion got a lot of attention on my Facebook Page last night, so I wanted to share some additional stats with you in case you missed it.
See the March Weather Almanac Sheet for Baltimore below.
- The former March 11 record High of 75°F was the coolest on the history books for any day of the month. That ended today.
- 26 days (at least) in March/ Baltimore history are here with 80°F or higher. All warmer than today.
- Based on the calendar, March 1 and 2 hit 80°F in 1972.
- March 4th hit 80°F in 1923 (98 years ago).
- There are clusters of warm record days throughout. Some recent. Some long ago.
- The hottest March day on record in Baltimore was 90°F on March 29 in 1945. That was part of a 2 day record heat wave.
- Most interesting is that same March 29th also had the record snow of 21.9” just 3 years earlier in 1942.
Talk about extremes, the flip in those 3 years is the largest weather contrast of any date on the calendar in all of Baltimore records.
Pretty cool, huh?
Afternoon Temperature Forecast
- Normal High in Baltimore: 52ºF
- Record High in Baltimore: 86ºF in 1990
These numbers will be 10 to 15 degrees below yesterday’s high temps.
The colder air will gradually spread in. This is a step down, with much colder air on the way.
Storm Animation: Monday – Wednesday
This ‘slop’ may be falling as snow, mix, or chilly rain depending where you are. But if there is to be any stickage, it might be limited to the mountains over 2,500 Ft elevation.
Next week will be chilly. This swing of extremes is common in March, which also means a big bounce back on the other side. That next rise in temps may time out with the arrival of spring.
14 Local Maryland Pages (and York PA)
We have made a page for Maryland Weather which gives you the current conditions for 14 present area locations.
Please share your thoughts, best weather pics/video, or just keep in touch via social media
Facebook: Justin Berk, Meteorologist
*NEW* FITF TUMBLER
READY TO SHIP THIS WEEK
Winter Outlook Series
FITF Shop Open
My ‘bonus’ daughter Jaiden and wife showing off our popular Maryland Hoodies. Unisex and women’s items all produced in Maryland.
Click here to see this and many other new items.